In 1948, they built a girl’s camp section (cabins 14, 15, 16 and 17) and, in 1951, a boy’s camp section (cabins 18, 19, 20, Fox & Hound, and Bunker). In fact, for the next two decades, the Silver family worked tirelessly to improve camp, adding two more cabins (Hilltop and Box Canyon), the tennis courts, the gym and the dining hall. Eventually, the Silver family sold Camp Osceola and it briefly became Camp Blue Ridge – before Camp Highlander purchased the property and moved in for the summer of 1974.
In its new location, Camp Highlander saw great expansion. Pine Crest quickly began adding to the campus to accommodate the growing number of campers. In the 1980’s, Tenny Top, the arts and crafts barn, the pottery barn, and the stables were built. In 1991, Pine Crest added an in-ground competition pool, becoming one of the first camps in the area to have one. Then, in the summer of 1999, Camp Highlander played host to the Disney Channel’s reality kids’ camp TV show, “Bug Juice.”
As the dust from one millennium began to settle and the dawn of another began to break, Pine Crest School decided to sell Camp Highlander. And, when November of 2000 rolled around, a couple from Baton Rouge, Karl and Shelley Alexander, entered the pages of our story when they purchased Camp Highlander, fulfilling their lifelong dream of owning and operating a summer camp.